Welcome to Year 3! Your teacher this year is Mrs Littler and Miss Fitzgerald is the class teaching assistant. We have a busy year planned with lots of exciting and challenging learning along the way.
Our topic this half term is Healthy Humans. In English, we will be reading Fables, carrying out a number of activities around them with a build up to writing our own fable.
We will also be looking at a range of other subjects within this theme including Art and Design, Music, Science and DT. In music lessons, we will be focusing on The Beatles music and listening to a range of tracks discussing how it makes us feel.
During Science lessons we will be learning about eating healthy, the eat well plate, drinking water and having a healthy lifestyle.
Art lessons will involve drawing fruits, using clay to make them and developing fruits using papier-mâché. DT will include design and making a healthy meal.
Plus lots more…… Please check back to see what we get up to along the way.
- PE takes place on Monday and Thursday, however, this can change and it is worth keeping your kit in school all week.
- It is extremely important that we read at home every night. When we have read at home 25 times, we receive a prize from the class prize box. An excellent KS2 reader will also be chosen each week to receive a book prize in gathering, this can be for various reasons linking to reading.
- We have a Values Award which is announced in gathering and the chosen person will receive a value badge.
Other awards include Spotted Award and Poppy Award which are also announced in gathering.
- At play time children can either bring in their own healthy snack or choose to pay 20p per day to choose a snack from our healthy snack trolley.
- Water bottles can also be brought into class in a plastic bottle that is clearly labelled with a name and will be freely accessible throughout the day.
- Each week Y3 will be expected to practice their times tables in preparation for times table tests. Our times table focus in Year 3 is 4 and 8 times tables. However we need to continue to practice 2, 5, 10 and 3 times tables.
- Spellings are given on a Friday and a spelling test will take place the following Friday.
- At Delph Side we work with an open door policy and we are always available to chat to at the start and the end of the school day should parents or carers have any questions, queries on concerns.
It's going to be a great year!
Writing a Diary Entry
Year 3 enjoyed listening to sounds of D-Day and pretending to be there. They have written something great diary entries!
The Book Bus!
Year 3 were very excited to visit the book bus, some couldn't decide which book to get! Decisions, decisions.
World War Week
We labelled England and France on a map. We also labelled the 5 beaches of Normandy where D-Day took place.
Inferring through pictures
Year 3 explored a remembrance themed picture, using their inference skills they answered questions about it.
Year 3 found it interesting learning about the artillery, weaponry, aviation, tanks and other equipment soldiers used during D-Day. We all had a go at sketching a chosen aircraft that was used during the attack.
Year 3 enjoyed learning about WW1 and recalling interesting facts from the war. We also created poppy art to incorporate 100 years since the end of WW1. Whilst working we enjoyed listening to music that was around at the time.
PE - Military Warm Up
Our World War theme week started with a military warm up in PE. Children enjoyed standing to attention, marching, star jumps, sit ups and lots more. They realise it would be hard to do this for an hour, which was expected of soldiers!
Today Year 3 enjoyed their Heartsmart session, discussing encouragement. They particularly enjoyed writing post it note comments about others and using encouraging language, they then had to stick the post it note to the child! The children liked wearing encouragement!
Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Theme Day
We researched Guy Fawkes and created a biography about him. We also created some firework art work using straws and paint.
Hate Crime Awareness Day
Today we had a visit from Jackie, she spoke to us about bullying, cyber bullying and hate crime. After that we created our own posters to reflect the messages that shed taught us.
This week we have been talking about how to keep safe online. We completed a questionnaire where we had to answer how we go online, what we watch and share and what we play and see.
Today we started a new half term of PE lessons which is athletics. Year 3 very much enjoyed the fast paced and very active lesson!
Year 3 working on their dance skills. Amazing!
Year 3 enjoyed exploring a range of online biographies.
Fun in jigsaw lessons with Poppy! We talked about the challenges we might face along our journey in Year 3.
Year 3 have explored a range of symbols on maps and had a go at creating their own.
Year 3 had a fabulous French day! They loved learning numbers, answering the phone, playing games, trying French food and how to ask how others are feeling.
Year 3 had a fab day at the Beacon, identifying human and physical geography features. The weather was lovely too!
Year 3 getting to grips with OS symbols on maps.
In maths this week we are learning to recognise and create addition and subtraction family facts.
Year 3 are loving their dance PE lessons.
We love having poppy join in with our Jigsaw lessons, today we were thinking about our dream school.
Year 3 explored Google Earth and Digimaps and used their postcode to locate their houses.
In English we have been learning to identify and use prepositions.
In geography lessons we have been using atlases to identify countries, cities and towns on a map which helped us to label our own maps.
Year 3 busy working on place value!
Year 3 have enjoyed acting out the folktale 'The Lancashire Giant.'
Year 3 enjoyed having Poppy joining in with our first jigsaw lesson of the year.
Year 3 getting stuck in as a group and generating describing words for images.